Follow us on

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 | 2:59 a.m.

In partnership with: ajc.com & wsbtv.com

Things to Do in Atlanta

Web Search by YAHOO!

Find fun things to doin the Atlanta, GA area

+ Add A Listing

Updated: 11:31 a.m. Thursday, April 25, 2013 | Posted: 11:28 a.m. Thursday, April 25, 2013

3 under investigation over topless Kate photos

Related

3 under investigation over topless Kate photos photo
FILE - In this Sept. 18, 2012 file photo, a news stand worker checks copies of Closer magazine which published 14 photos of a partially clad Kate Duchess of Cambridge in its pages, in Nice, southern France. A prosecutor's office says Thursday, April 26, 2013 a French judge has placed under investigation the photographer and publishing company behind unauthorized topless photos of Prince William's wife, Kate, that appeared in "Closer" magazine in France last September. (AP Photo/Lionel Cironneau, File)

By THOMAS ADAMSON

The Associated Press

PARIS —

French prosecutors have placed the publisher and photographer of unauthorized topless snaps of Prince William's wife, Kate, under formal criminal investigation, they said Thursday.

Mondadori Magazines France and local photographer Valerie Suau were placed under investigation earlier this month over possible criminal exploitation of the images, which appeared in the French Closer magazine last September, according to Caroline Chassain, Nanterre prosecutor spokeswoman.

Chassain added that Suau's employer, local newspaper La Provence, was also placed under formal criminal investigation Monday.

The photos showed the Duchess of Cambridge relaxing at a private villa in Provence, in southern France, sometimes without her bikini top and, in one case, her suit bottom partially pulled down to apply sunscreen.

If convicted, Closer magazine could face closure for up to five years; the photographer could face fines and — much less likely — a year in prison. The potential punishment for La Provence was not yet clear.

Though the development, which moves the investigation one step toward a full-blown trial, is likely to please royal officials, it will probably take several months before the investigating judge decides whether or not to fully charge the parties on a possible breach of the Duchess of Cambridge's privacy.

"One factor in the royal couple's advantage is that they won the civil case last September. There is already a privacy decision out there favorable to the Kate and Prince William ... They have one leg up," said Christopher Mesnooh, an American lawyer working in France for Field Fisher Waterhouse.

"It's a delicate balancing act for the judge to reconcile (press) freedoms with the right to privacy. Yes, in France there are strong privacy laws, but don't forget it's a country also with robust freedom of expression," said Mesnooh.

The blurry photos have been called a "grotesque and totally unjustifiable" abuse of privacy by British royal officials. Despite efforts by Prince William and Kate to halt their use last September they went on to be published in Italy, Ireland, Sweden and on the Internet. However, no major British publication carried the photos, including Rupert Murdoch's top-selling U.K. tabloid The Sun, which last year ran photos of a naked Prince Harry cavorting in a Las Vegas hotel room.

The first major press incident involving William and Kate brought back memories of William's mother Diana being hounded by paparazzi in France in the hours and days before her fatal car crash there in 1997.

___

Thomas Adamson can be followed at Twitter.com/ThomasAdamsonAP

Copyright The Associated Press

More News

 
Dining Guide

AJC Spring Dining Guide 2013

It's here! Check out the 50 restaurants that made the list, and let us know what you think on Twitter with #ajcwheretoeat.

Atlanta weighs in on what should make the AJC Spring Dining Guide 2013

Photos: Atlanta weighs in on #ajcwheretoeat

Instagram and Twitter users sent us photos of their favorite restaurants and dishes in Atlanta. Take a look.

Spring dining guide: The Atlanta 50

Photos: What made the Atlanta 50?

We have mouthwatering photos from each of the 50 spots that were picked for the Spring Dining Guide.