- Jen West For the AJC
The folks behind Johnny's Hideaway have been having a good time since 1979. As one of the oldest nightspots in the Atlanta, it has a little bit of something for everyone. Often described as the "Cheers" of our city, it's a go-to spot for the over-40 crowd and a late-night destination for the mobs of twenty-and thirty-somethings. What you don't see at the bar or on the dance floor are the things that happen behind the scenes to make this one of Atlanta's most unique nighttime experiences for big kids.
1. Johnny does not own Johnny’s Hideaway. Chris Dauria is the owner, and he has been keeping Atlanta’s oldest nightspot young for the past 18 years.
2. The most popular late night menu item at Johnny’s is tater tots. Despite offering a wide assortment of small plates and all-day breakfast service, the kitchen turns out more tots than any other food during the wee hours.
3. Johnny’s Hideaway appears in the 2011 movie “Hall Pass” starring Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis.
4. Although many couples have met at Johnny’s and then married, just as many of the club’s patrons have parted ways. The running joke among staff members is, “Who gets the Hideaway in the divorce?”
5. Approximately 15 to 20 drivers’ licenses and credit cards are lost each week at Johnny’s.
6. The most popular drink served at Johnny's is vodka, usually mixed with Red Bull or soda. They go through about nine cases of vodka per week.
7. None of Johnny’s bartenders resemble Tom Cruise’s character in the movie “Cocktail” because, according to Dauria, “if any of them made as few drinks per minute as he did, they’d be fired.”
8. No drinks are allowed on the dance floor at Johnny’s Hideaway. Johnny’s was originally a shag, swing and ballroom dance club, and none of these dances could be done with a drink in hand.
9. The club’s longest-serving employee, Butch Baugher, has been working at Johnny’s for 34 years. Dauria credits Baugher and other longtime staff members for Johnny’s continued success.
10. The largest tip ever received at Johnny’s was $5,000. Johnny’s bartenders and servers know how to keep guests happy and dancing the night away. See #9.
Johnny’s Hideaway is located at 3771 Roswell Road NE in Atlanta. For additional information, call 404-233-8026 or visit johnnyshideaway.com.
RECOMMENDED VIDEO: Upper room | Pop-up restaurant