Georgia legislators may have canceled the 2017 back-to-school tax-free weekend, but parents can still take advantage of some deals before −online and at Atlanta stores − before the kids head back.
Grab your child’s school checklist, and head to these websites and stores for these can’t-miss back to school sales.
2. Staples Back to School Center offers weekly rotating back-to-school specials, which last through Sept. 2 in Georgia. The Staples 50 cent sale is only available in stores. Staples also offers price match guarantee and the Staples Rewards program.
Staples customers can shop online and pick up an hour later.
Prepackaged school kits
Parents can often save time and money by purchasing back-to -school supplies as one kit.
3. Walmart has a feature that allows users to type in their zip code to find a list of local schools, and the schools' specific supply lists. Each list is broken out into the supplies along with their current Walmart sale price and the quantity the teachers request.
4. Another option is School Tool Box, which similarly allows shoppers to find their own school's lists, and often serves as a school fundraiser. This tool also divides the lists further by gender, which some schools require. When comparing School Tool Box with Walmart and two local schools' lists, it showed School Tool Box to be less expensive at the time of this writing, but Walmart sales fluctuate. Amazon's back to school sale also includes kits. The kits are organized into grade-appropriate levels, but do not appear to allow for prepackaged kits according to specific school lists.
6. Best Buy's back to school sale offers a variety of electronic deals including 10 percent off surface electronics, 20 percent off small appliances and 25 percent off personal appliances such as electric razors. Deals like the $150 off select computers can be combined with special students coupons, including another $125 off computers. To get the student coupons, customers need to create an account and sign up for Student Hub emails.
7. Apple's Back to School 2017 sale runs through Sept. 25 and offers homeschool teachers and Kindergarten-12 faculty (plus higher education faculty, students and parents) a variety of Beats headphones with qualifying Apple product purchase. Savings range from $149.95 to $299.95.
Clothing, Footwear, backpacks
8. Dick's Sporting Goods Back To School Sale is offering up deals on everything from footwear to apparel, including up to 40 percent off athletic apparel and $15 off shoes $69.99 or more, with 15-35 percent off Nike specifically. Customers can sign up for the newsletters for another 10 percent off items. Dick's backpacks start at $19.99, and a $60-plus backpack purchase earns you $10 in Dick's Cash.
9. North Georgia Premium Outlets are extending their hours from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. July 29 and 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. July 30 for back-to-school shopping. The Dawsonville mall's OshKosh B'Gosh store is offering buy one get two free on all T-shirts and polos, and Puma is offering a buy one get one 50 percent off on shoes, both running through July 24. The Hanna Andersson store is offering up to 70 percent off through July 26, and $29 backpacks online. Papaya's clothing sale offers tops and dresses under $10, jeans for $15.99 and basic tops from $5 through Aug. 21.
10. Monthly subscription service Fabkids.com is offering VIP Members school deals July 31 through Aug. 31. Deals include leggings from $4, tees from $6 and sneakers starting at $10. A bonus sale is $9.95 for two pairs of shoes, available to new VIP subscribers.
No Georgia Tax-Free Weekend? You can still find some deals at the outlets.
10. Simon Property Group, owners of North Georgia Premium Outlets, as well as Atlanta's Phipps Plaza and Lenox Square, is offering Better than Tax Free Shopping, giving a $10 AmericanExpress SimonGiftcard for every $100 spent (up to $500) July 28-30 at all its Georgia locations, except Sugarloaf Mills and Calhoun Outlet Marketplace.
11. The Outlet Shoppes at Atlanta in Woodstock are hosting several back-to-school events, including carnival celebrations July 22-23, and again Aug. 5-6, featuring sales, games and character appearances. The Outlet Shoppes are also offering a More than Tax Free event, issuing $8 gift cards for every $100 spent July 29-30.