Now, everyone knows the short list of July 4th events (think Stone Mountain and Centennial Olympic Park) that rise to the top of our local list. But, little did you know, the top-rated destination in the country to celebrate the Fourth of July sits right in on the coast of Georgia.
Every year the port city of Brunswick, Georgia, transforms Mary Ross Waterfront Park in its Historic Downtown into an old-fashioned Independence Day. USA Today's 10Best Readers’ Choice poll recently crowned the city's Old-Fashioned Fourth of July Celebration the best Fourth of July festival in the country.
Located right on the coast and adjacent to the Golden Isles, Brunswick and makes the perfection location to spend the Fourth of July and a mini-vacation while you're at it.
Here’s everything to know about this chart-topping 4th of July event:
Event: Old-Fashioned Fourth of July Celebration in Brunswick
Time: 7 -10 p.m. Date: Tuesday, July 4th
Location: Mary Ross Waterfront Park. Bay and Gloucester Street, Brunswick.
At this year's event, you can expect:
- Traditional family fun. Bring the whole family to this kid-friendly Independence Day event, which will feature wholesome games and activities like sack races, water balloon toss, hula hoop contest, horseshoes, tug-of-war and plenty of prizes.
- Delicious watermelon. Not only will game winners receive a whole watermelon grown in Southern Georgia, but, thanks to the City of Brunswick, visitors young and old will also enjoy free watermelon slices throughout the night.
- Music in the air. To start this important evening off right, local singer Annie Akins will perform a powerful rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner," along with Artists and Mentors of the Golden Isles Penguin Project. If you've never listened to it in person, hearing "The Star Spangled Banner" live will knock your socks off.
- Plenty of food. Thanks to the Heather House and the City of Brunswick Police Department C.O.P. program, an array of traditional Fourth of July food will be available for purchase at the event, including hamburgers, hot dogs, sodas and sweets. No need to bring a picnic with you to this one.
- Stunning fireworks show. For a full 30 minutes, you and your family will enjoy one of the best fireworks shows in the South. Set to a backdrop of patriotic music, a spectacular fireworks display will explode around 9 p.m.over the waters of the East River and Oglethorpe Bay.
If you're looking for a meaningful way to build memories with your family, don't miss the Old-Fashioned Fourth of July Celebration in Brunswick.
For more information, contact the Golden Isles Arts and Humanities Association at 912-262-6934 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.