- Stephanie Toone The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Three of the best places to drop a fishing line in the country are just a short drive from Atlanta, according to a new ranking.
The national Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation (RBFF) released its list of the "2016 Top 100 Family-Friendly Places to Fish and Boat" ranking Red Top Mountain State Park in Cartersville No. 78, Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center in Mansfield No. 97 and, lastly, Flat Creek Public Fishing Area in Perry No. 99. RBFF released the list through its website TakeMeFishing.org in tandem with National Fishing and Boating Week, (June 4-12).
Top 10 Places to Drop a Line in 2016:
- Everglades National Park, Florida
- Bahia Honda State Park, Atlantic Ocean, Florida
- Blue Springs State Park, St. Johns River, Florida
- Kissimmee State Park, Lake Kissimmee, Florida
- Clear Lake State Park, Clear Lake, California
- Brannon Island State Park, Sacramento River, California
- Dockweiler State Beach, Santa Monica Bay, California
- Hanging Rock State Park, Hanging Rock Park Lake, North Carolina
- Guntersville State Park, Guntersville Lake, Ala.
- Lake James State Park, Lake James, Ala.
RBFF, a national nonprofit geared toward increasing participation in recreational fishing and boating, surveyed 35,000 anglers and boaters on their favorite places. Those surveyors voted more than 650,000 times to determine the top 100 list based on public bodies of water within driving distances of a major city, good fishing opportunities and family-friendly amenities.
“The best way to enjoy fishing and boating is to find a special place to fish with family and friends, so we’re thrilled that so many people shared their favorite place to engage in this national pastime,” said Frank Peterson, RBFF president and CEO, said in a written statement.
To encourage more fishing and boatings this summer, Georgia is offering free fishing days where anglers can fish without a license for free tomorrow and Sept. 24.
For more on the Free Fishing Days, visit: http://www.georgiawildlife.com/Fishing/FreeFishingDays .