Fireworks in garbage caused destructive house fire, officials say

  • Joy Johnston, Cox Media Group National Content Desk
12:00 p.m Thursday, July 6, 2017 Things to Do in Atlanta

Fireworks discarded in a trash can led to a destructive fire that damaged two homes in Michigan.

The fire was so intense that it caused the side of one house to melt and ruined the garage and other rooms in the house next door, WXYZ reported.

There were no injuries, but the property damage was estimated to be $150,000, WXYZ reported. 

Firefighters said people should dispose of fireworks in a bucket filled with water and place the bucket a safe distance from the house.

View full experience