A cyanide trap intended to kill coyotes injured a 14-year-old boy and killed his dog Thursday, police said.
The Idaho boy and dog were walking behind their home when the device exploded, the Idaho State Journal reported.
The boy was knocked to his back and later taken to the hospital for cyanide poison testing. The dog died in front of the teen, the Journal reported.
"Seeing something like that stays with you," the boy’s mother, Theresa Mansfield, told the Journal.
The trap, often called a "cyanide bomb," was placed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture as a predator control device. It’s very dangerous to animals and humans, police said.
The incident is being investigated, police said.
Read more at the Idaho State Journal.