For most Atlanta Braves fans visiting SunTrust Park for the first time, the focus will likely be on the game.
But where do you gear up for the action — or wind down after it’s over? The Battery, the entertainment complex attached to the park, offers up spots to throw back a cold beer, down a gourmet sausage or chow down on a burger from a former boy band member.
Here’s what’s open:
- Achie’s -- Celebrity chef Hugh Acheson opened this upscale American restaurant in The Omni Hotel at The Battery in January 2018. It offers breakfast, lunch, dinner and brunch as well as room service for hotel guests.
- Antico Pizza - The popular Neapolitan-style pizzeria has its third location at The Battery (there are already locations in West Midtown and in Alpharetta mixed-use development Avalon).
- C. Ellet’s --Restaurateur Linton Hopkins' eatery is a “great American steakhouse with seasonal ingredients tied into the American South,” he said. The menu will focus on steaks, seafood and oysters along with vegetable dishes. Hopkins will also open a new location of his popular H&F Burger — which cooked up burgers and fries at Turner Field — in SunTrust Park.
- CRU Food and Wine Bar -- The eatery’s second location (there’s another in Alpharetta) offers up a wide variety of wine in addition to Napa-style foods including stone-fired pizzas and artisan plates.
El Felix -- Celebrated restaurateur Ford Fry serves up Mexican food with an Austin vibe at the second location of his Tex-Mex concept. Look out for Mexicam classics including tacos, flautas and enchiladas, along with healthier fare such as short ribs and carne asada.
- FEED - The fried chicken and Southern food concept from Chef Marc Taft of Chicken and the Egg in Marietta serves up catfish, country-fried steak, meatloaf, macaroni and cheese and other Southern staples in addition to fried chicken, as well as some healthier options including grilled chicken and salads. Desserts include soft serve ice cream, milkshakes, pies and baked goods, and the restaurant has a full bar. FEED will offer counter service on game days, as well as sit-down lunch and dinner the rest of the year.
- First & Third Hot Dog and Sausage Shack -- The concept from Chef Hugh Acheson, who is also helping oversee the opening of Punch Bowl Social at the Battery, offers artisanal sausages and hot dogs from local butcher Patak Meats in Austell, 12 miles away from SunTrust Park. House-made chow-chow, radish-serrano salad and pickled red onions accompany the meats. The spot is accessible from both The Battery and the ballpark.
- Haagen-Dazs -- The chain offers its signature ice creams, gelatos, sorbets, sundaes and frozen drinks.
Live at The Battery Atlanta: Developed by the Cordish Companies, which operates Live venues at ballparks across the country, this concept includes three sections:
- Sports & Social Club, a two-level area that will feature a 40-foot diagonal, high-definition LED screen as a backdrop for social games and activities.
- PBR Bar & Grill, which is branded for the Professional Bull Riders Association. The bar is similar to its sister site in St. Louis’ Ballpark Village adjacent to Busch Stadium.
- Todd English Tavern, a concept from celebrity chef (and Atlanta native) Todd English, who calls his restaurant a “neo-tavern” featuring Southern dishes with an international influence and an extensive beverage program. Menu items include a number of shareable offerings as well as items like an upscale riff on an oyster po’boy of corn pone with truffles and oysters. The signature burger will be a pork and truffle version with pork shoulder confit served with fennel-apple salad. English also stated that some pub grub would be tweaked as vegetable-based offerings, such as cauliflower tater tots.
- Terrapin Taproom featuring Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q: A collaboration between Athens-based Terrapin brewery and Atlanta’s popular Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q, the taproom features several Terrapin beers — including some brews special to the location made in the ATL Brew Lab microbrewery — and favorites from the Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q menu. The Taproom is accessible from both The Battery and the ballpark.
- Wahlburgers: The high-end burger concept will made its Atlanta debut with its Battery location. The chain has a Hollywood pedigree — brothers Mark Wahlberg, an Oscar nominee, and Donnie Wahlberg, a member of boy band New Kids on the Block who’s also a star of CBS’ “Blue Bloods.”
- Yard House: The pub chain — which has an Atlanta location at Atlantic Station — serves up 130 draft beers, including several local and regional brews, and upscale bar food.
Here’s what’s coming
- Burn by Rocky Patel -- Cigarmaker Patel’s luxe cigar bar concept, which will feature a design that draws on a mix of Mediterranean, Asian and Cuban cultures, will offer high-end cigars and exotic cocktails. The Battery location will join the original Burn in Naples, Fla.
- El Super Pan: The Puerto Rican-inspired sandwich shop from Chef Hector Santiago will open its second location (its first is at Ponce City Market) in 2018.
- Goldbergs Bagel Co. & Deli: The string of local delis — the first opened in Atlanta in 1972 — will serve up bagel sandwiches and deli salads.
- Punch Bowl Social -- In addition to First & Third, Empire State South owner and “Top Chef” star Hugh Acheson will help launch the first Georgia location of restaurant and entertainment concept Punch Bowl Social as its “culinary partner.” The spot will feature bowling, bocce ball, karaoke and a 360-degree bar and will serve weekend brunch, lunch, dinner and late-night snacks in addition to craft cocktails.EndFragment
RECOMMENDED: Atlanta Falcons host tasting of restaurants planned for new Mercedes Benz Stadium