- Becca J. G. Godwin The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Out of the 20 places up for a recent vote on Georgia’s best attraction, seven of them were from metro Atlanta. Alas, the winner is not from within that fold.
Calloway Gardens — that 14,000-acre property full of fun stuff like golf, tennis and lakes in Pine Mountain — took the No. 1 spot.
A panel of experts nominated the attractions as part of USA TODAY’s 10Best Reader’s Choice Awards. Voting ended Jan. 15.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Georgia Attraction are:
1. Callaway Gardens, Pine Mountain
2. Atlanta Botanical Garden, Atlanta
3. The Big House Museum, Macon
4. Georgia Aquarium, Atlanta
5. Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge
6. Atlanta History Center, Atlanta
7. Cumberland Island National Seashore
8. Ocmulgee National Monument, Macon
9. Savannah Historic District, Savannah
10. Center for Civil and Human Rights, Atlanta
In a 2016 vote of the country’s best botanical garden by the same organization, Atlanta’s came in ninth.