Get ready to ring in the Lunar New Year (also known as Chinese New Year) in Atlanta! Starting Jan. 22, we’ll be kicking off the Year of the Rabbit, a symbol of longevity, positivity, and all things clever and witty. And with our ultimate guide, you’ll discover the best festivals, “fire” breathing dragons, yummy food and arts and crafts market.
CHECK OUT: Score a home run of fun at free Braves Fest this month
Don’t miss out on the chance to immerse yourself in the rich culture of Asia and the Asian diaspora and celebrate with the community. So grab your red envelopes and let’s get this Lunar New Year started!
Indulge in a delicious dumpling extravaganza
- Atlanta Chinatown: Experience Chinese New Year at Atlanta Chinatown Mall in Chamblee, with food court stalls offering a variety of Chinese dishes like dumplings, noodles, and roast ducks.
- Girl Diver: Celebrate at Reynoldstown’s Asian-focused Vietnamese seafood restaurant on Friday, Jan. 20 for a party in the “Year of the Rabbit” style.
- Soup Belly: Join Soup Belly’s Chinese New Year pop-up on Sunday, Jan. 22 at SmoQ’n Hot Grill inside Collective at Coda in Midtown. Enjoy a 7-course feast for two with dishes like Cantonese steamed fish, walnut shrimp, and more. Get a gift bag with fun goodies like chopsticks, a red envelope, and more. Tickets are required and are selling fast!
- JenChan’s: Start your Chinese New Year with an all-day celebration at Cabbagetown’s JenChan’s on Sunday, Jan. 22. Enjoy wealthy dumplings, long-life bok choy and more. Reservations required.
- Char Korean: Get ready for a Lunar New Year blowout at Char Korean in Inman Park. Details are scarce, but mark your calendars for Friday, Jan. 20 and get ready for a night of fun and celebration.
- Doc Chey’s: Celebrate Lunar New Year at Doc Chey’s Grant Park, Virginia-Highland, and Emory locations on Tuesday, Jan. 24 during lunch and dinner. Enjoy special fortune cookies with prizes, including a chance to win Atlanta United tickets!
Take part in tradition at one of these festivals and events
- Atlantic Station: Ring in the Year of the Rabbit at Atlantic Station with a spectacular display of decorations including a “fire” breathing dragon and mesmerizing lantern show. Running 5-9 p.m. nightly from Jan. 13 through Feb 5.
- Lunar New Year Festival at Stone Mountain Park: Watch professional dancers in traditional garb, along with dragon and lion teams at “the Largest Lunar New Year Spectacular in North America.” Take a stroll along the reflection walkway adorned with hundreds of red lanterns, symbolizing good luck for the future and enjoy a mind-blowing drone show and cultural music. Don’t miss out on this spectacular event!
- Decatur Lunar New Year Festival: Experience a unique “Pan-Asian Lunar New Year Festival” in Decatur on Saturday, Jan. 28 from 1-5 p.m. Enjoy diverse customs from Vietnam, South Korea, China, Japan and the Philippines, including dance performances, a lion dance, crafts, a marketplace, and more.
- Chinese New Year at the Children’s Museum of Atlanta: Join the Children’s Museum of Atlanta on Sunday, Jan. 22 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. for special activities with cultural performances included with paid admission.
Check out Asian Supermarkets